Sunday, June 23, 2013

Steins;Gate: terrible mess or terrific masterpiece? (spoiler free review)


So I did recently finish Steins;Gate, and these are my thoughts on it. If you get past the slow beginning, it might be very enjoyable actually. Be prepared to be confused at the start, there's no real golden thread, and to be honest I was skeptical to see where this was going. But I really wanted to give the anime a chance, since it is after all ranked as the 3rd best anime on Myanimelist.net's top anime page.

If you saw my video, you will already be familiar with the main character of the anime, and in my opinion, one of the most amazing characters ever. Okabe Rintarou is just wonderful.
Now the anime itself is simply about him and his friends experimenting with and trying to build time machines, and it IS properly explained if you just wait it out a few episodes. There is also a lot of friendships, love and sacrifice. I'm afraid if I say more I'll be spoiling too much. Just go watch it ok.

Genre? Must be psychological thriller or something like that..

Though I usually do not favour harem animes, this one is one of the better. Characters have proper depth, and play important roles in the storyline. They can make you cry. The music's fantastic. The art is also fantastic. The story's a bit messy, but still, isn't that exactly what time is supposed to be? I think that is one important point they are trying to make here.


"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbley ... timey wimey ... stuff" 
- The Doctor

Everything is just fantastic. Although I hesitated to rate this anime, I thought to myself, "what the heck, it kept me up at night" (and it honestly did, and I even dreamt about my endeared Okarin), and gave it 10/10. 

These are my favourite charcters. 

Feel free to share opinions. I will be back with comments on the OVA episode. Until then. 

7 comments:

  1. Saw this from your post on tumblr. If you're interested, there is the original visual novel, a bunch of supplementary materials (such as drama CDs and manga side stories), and even other series that take place in the same universe, Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes (In fact, Chaos;Head came out prior to Steins;Gate, so S;G is actually a sequel of sorts; all three series together make up the SciADV series). I would say that all of this stuff is worth your time if you enjoyed Steins;Gate.

    Just some things though: 1. You may have heard that many visual novels have sexual content, but that stuff is nonexistent in the SciADV series. 2. The Chaos;Head anime is a terrible adaptation, stick to the visual novel. 3. I suggest to do the Chaos;Head VN before the Steins;Gate VN, since you'll catch a bunch of references and stuff that way in S;G. 4. You should probably do the Steins;Gate VN before the supplementary materials. 5. The Robotics;Notes visual novel is untranslated, so there's only the anime adaptation. 6. You have to do Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate before you watch Robotics;Notes.

    And here's one last thing: http://pastebin.com/DAzu9MaK
    This link contains a list of everything I know of in the SciADV series, along with useful links to get most of this stuff.

    Well then, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the recommendations! I have already seen the Chaos;Head anime though, and I have to admit I didn't like it much. But I might give the visual novels a try! (;

      Delete
  2. Hey,
    Nice blog..
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC and bloglovin..!!!
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of watching it, but I saw the preanime for this last summer, Chäos;Head (http://myanimelist.net/anime/4975/Ch%C3%A4oS;HEAd) it's just crazy xP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way... remeber I changedmy url from lolitayoghurt to churichan,so try to follow me over again, then I'm sure my post will show on you feed :D

      Delete
    2. I know, Chaos;Head is terrible! But Steins;Gate doesn't really have anything to do with it, I promise, it's worth a watch ((;

      Delete
  4. Ah, you just reminded me that I forgot to review the OVA, which, unsurprisingly, is also good.

    ReplyDelete