Saturday, July 13, 2013

Fruits Basket, part 1: why I love this (spoiler free review)

Fruits Basket is easily one of my favourite mangas, if not the favourite manga, ever. Read it.

I (proudly) present to you my Fruits Basket collection.


Fruits Basket is about the newly made orphan Tohru Honda, who after losing her mother decides to live on her own in a tent, while attending high school. It doesn't take long before one of her classmates, Yuki Sohma, finds her, seeing as the forest she's staying in belongs to the Sohma family. However, the impulsive cousin, Shigure Sohma, whom Yuki is living with, invites Tohru to stay at their place, in exchange for her doing the housework. That's cool. 
Now the interesting part, is that certain members of the Sohma family turns into animals from the Chinese zodiac when being hugged by someone of the opposite gender. Aha. It's when Tohru finds out about their family curse that the real story begins. 

This is a story about friendship, love, family, loyalty, trust and identity.


I love everything about this. I realise that being a manga of 23 volumes, it is quite long, and I have yet to meet someone who has actually finished it. I myself have read it twice now. And it was so worth it. The characters are amazing, and we get to see the relationships between them in such a wonderful way. The truth is, the people in this manga is a bunch of depressed loners, not knowing what to do with themselves. But they are all unique, and they grow a lot. The amount of character development that happens is massive, and I feel like this is the strongest point in the manga.









The story itself is absurd, and I have heard people laughing because they think it's ridiculous, but I feel like it should be taken serious, nonetheless. After all, these said people had no problem watching/reading things like Elfen Lied, Chaos;Head and Naruto among others, with the same passion as I have for Fruits Basket. If you do have the ability to take this serious, you are in for lots of laughter, and, lots of tears. (I took to tears more than once while reading).

The art also "matures" a lot over time, it's unbelievable. At the end I barely recognised some of the characters, but at the same time, it's as if the drawings developed alongside the characters. The art changed much over the years of being drawn, and it fits with how the plot proceeds. The manga went from being a silly comedy, high school, shoujo manga, to being dramatic, dark and serious.

Before I tune out, I'd like to say a few words about the anime adaption, while I'm at it. Personally I enjoyed it to some extent, but I feel like it fails to capture what this story is truly about. Also it ended too shortly at 26 episodes (equivalently volume 6), when the real plot has barely been uncovered. Still, many people like it, and although I do recommend it, I ask that you won't critique the anime and the manga based on one another. Cause in reality, they don't have that much in common.

I do realise this might not be for everyone, but if you're into shoujo manga, this is a must-read. Enough said. 10/10.

(If you have actually read this all the way through, please wait with commenting until part 2 comes thank you).

2 comments:

  1. Very intresting..
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. *O* at that manga collection haha

    ive never read the manga but i have watched the anime and it is sooooo sad! i cry like every episode which is pathetic even for me! Dx Even if u say they are different, i still think Fruits Basket is awesome! >.<

    ReplyDelete