Thursday, August 15, 2013

Bad haircuts

Exactly 2 years ago, my grandmother offered to take me to the hairdresser. I gladly accepted, as hairdressers are crazy expensive here in Norway. Back then I had just finished the anime A-Channel in awe, and thought I could pull of the same hair style as Run-chan. Only thing, I didn't. Turns out anime hair works a lot different than real-life hair.
For some reason, the hairdresser refused to follow my instructions, and I got stuck looking like a little girl for the following 8 months. I swore I would never have my hair that short again, and I would never go back to a hair salon (which is why I let my mother cut my hair for the following 2 years).

But she's so cute.
Now, fast forward to today's date. My ends were damaged and I wanted to take care of that part before leaving for France, and I happen to have a friend who is an apprentice at a hair salon. She asked me if I wanted her to cut my hair. Only when I saw her cut off at least 10 cm of my beautiful dark locks did I realise I'd made a mistake. "I promise you it'll be the same length!" she assured me.

We've all had them, right? Moments when we look into the mirror, screaming internally at the terror that was once so long and pretty. Or walking down the school/work corridors, dreading to walk into class/the office only to receive looks of horror. It's been a dream of mine since I was a kid to have long, and I mean princessy-long, hair. I was getting there, but now I'm set back another few years. "Don't worry, it'll grow out again," they say. No. Not this hair. It. Just. Doesn't. Grow. Not only is it now too short, but yet again, I look like a freaking grade schooler.

I miss my hair, I really really do. I thought it was fine, I liked it the way it was. I just wanted to get rid of some split ends. My mother keeps telling me I look better, but what else would you expect from your mother? I could dress up as a goddamn hobo and she'll still say I'm beautiful.

However, in all of this despair, I have to try my best to stay positive. Although it sucks right now, I cannot let this incident ruin me forever. So I'll keep these things in mind, and I may be even able to get some sleep tonight:

  • It WILL grow out. Eventually. 
  • I'll learn how to handle it. It's still new and unfamiliar.
  • I'll get used to it. 
  • I might get hit on more. (By perverts. Also I don't see why this is a good thing at all.)
  • More likely, I'll get hit on less. Which is alright by me because why would I want that when I have so many fictional boyfriends already. 
  • Said fictional boyfriends will still love me.
  • And even if someone IRL is interested in me, at least I'll know for sure it's not just due to my looks.
  • It might look better after I dye it. 
  • It might look better in the morning, after a good night's sleep and a (cold) shower. 

Now that I told you my story, I want to hear if you people have any experiences like this. Bad haircuts, wrong colours, even beards gone wrong! Also if you have any tips on how the hell I'm going to deal with this please help me. Tell me in the comments! (:

Photo of shame (you'd think I'd learned my lesson after repeating this mistake about a 435^127 times)

No comments:

Post a Comment