Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Btooom! (spoiler free review)

Ahaha, what a show.

Btooom! is the anime equivalent of Battle Royale or The Hunger Games. We follow the young "NEET" (Not in Education, Employment or Training) Sakamoto Ryouta, who spends his time playing the online game Btooom! The point in this game is to kill enemies with bombs. One day, our protagonist awakens on an island, and soon learns he's part of a live version of the game, and the only way to leave the island is to collect 7 of the chips the players have implanted in their hands; meaning they have to kill to get them. 


I have many problems with this anime. But there are also many things I liked. 

The story isn't the most original, but it's well done. The pacing is fine, but since there only are 12 episodes, I suspected early on there might not be a decent ending. Now, if you do decide to watch this I have to warn you: there is some serious sick themes here. Not only the killing part, but there are psychopaths, traitors, and rapists. This is not for the weak-hearted. 


We meet various characters, and we learn how and why they ended up on the island. Most of them are proper enough, there's only so much backstory they have time for in such a short show, but the creators pulled it off, somehow. There's the main character, who goes through some good development, having to face what used to be his life, in actual real life. I like him, he's surprisingly mature (or becomes so). However, I find it strange for someone who only spend their days at the computer to have such speed and amount of stamina (adrenaline, I guess). Himiko is an angsty high school girl, who refuses to trust anyone, but has no other choice if she wants to survive. There's Taira-san, an old man who doesn't want to kill. And the list goes on and on, I'm impressed by how many characters they actually had.

There are lots of flashbacks, which can be confusing, at times. Also, sometimes it's hard to remember who is who, because of all the names and faces. But most characters aren't THAT important. 


The animation is fine. Not extraordinary beautiful, but definitely not ugly. I'm sad to say the soundtrack didn't make an impression on me, I can't even remember it, except for the opening theme (which was pretty cool). 

Overall, it was good, but I wasn't particularly emotionally invested in it.  7/10 is the score I decided on. It's too bad the endings leaves us with more questions than it answers. I do hope they make a second season, otherwise it wouldn't feel complete. But, as of today's date, there still aren't enough chapters in the manga for that, so we'll just have to wait and see (I wouldn't mind reading it tho).




1 comment:

  1. This anime sounds really cool. *added to my (very long) to watch list*

    ReplyDelete