Friday, August 23, 2013

Hyouka (spoiler free review)

Prepare your diabetic meds, because you're sure to get a sugar overdose from this. I can describe Hyouka with one word: adorable.



The hero of this anime is the freshman Oreki Houtarou, who, at a request from his sister, decides to join the Classics club to save it from disbanding. Now, Oreki is a really lazy guy, he lives by the motto "If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick". Then he meets the endlessly curious Chitanda Eru, and together with Fukube Satoshi and Ibara Mayaka, they start solving mysteries around the school.



The mysteries they solve are pretty trivial, it's not like someone died and they try to find the murderer. It's more of finding lost items or figuring things from the past. To be completely honest, the first few episodes didn't catch my attention too much. But I kept watching for two reasons: I didn't have anything else available at the time, and, this show is just so damn cute how could I not. There is no main storyline to this, only separate minor plots, but there is one thing that is consistent throughout the anime. And that is the character development, which brings me to the next point.

The characters. They're all wonderful. Despite Oreki's lack of will to do anything, he's very talented at deducing, and he can't refuse to cooperate when Chitanda asks him for help. All of the characters have personality, and clearly change and develop lots, which is what makes this anime interesting. I just portrays the experience of growing up and maturing really well.

And the soundtrack is great. There is an element of classical music which sets a general calm mood. Openings and endings are beautiful, and they show the inner journeys of the characters.

The animation is perfect. Everything is so sweet and the art is truly gorgeous. Seeing as it was aired in 2012, it has that extremely modern anime look. Probably the strongest point in this anime.

My new boyfriend.

So, my conclusion is, despite starting off slow, this is a very good anime. The genre can be hard to pinpoint, though, is it a mystery show? Slice of life? Romance? Not sure, but it has all of these elements. And I had some good laughs too.
This is one anime I wouldn't recommend marathoning though, even though that's what I did myself. I just think you'd get more out of it from stretching it out a bit. And, lastly, there's no action or a lot happening, just 22 episodes of purely "feel-good", which worked for me since I've been watching some animes with heavy plots lately. 9/10.

6 comments:

  1. i thought this anime had really cute character design and animation but i really dont like the no main plot thing. it bored me out a couple eps in and i stopped watching lol Glad you liked it tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was really boring in the beginning too and I can see the lack of main plot, but I still think they were able to pull this off really well (:

      Delete
  2. I think that Hyouka is more of a slice of life series but makes the development of the characters more interesting by adding mystery... In my opinion, Hyouka's best asset is its characters. I was also not exactly captured at first but I do sense the potential of the series thus I kept on watching... until passing half of the series that I realized that I was so focused on expecting a big mystery that I failed to see the interesting development going through the characters.
    but overall it is a pretty nice 'feel-good' series with a lot more talking than action. I actually watched this weekly but I do plan to re-watch it some time soon. I'll probably marathon it by then :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I kinda expected a big mystery in the beginning too... But now I just want another season!

      Delete
  3. i used to watch 5 episodes per day, i'm a person who gets bored easily but i swear i didnt get bored at all while watching this! i was glued to it right from the beginning! loved it a lot.. hoping for season 2 (though i know it wont be there)! the best i liked was the animation, and yes, they're damn cute XP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg a season 2 of this would make me the happiest girl in the world! And I liked the animation the best as well it's royal.

      Delete