Monday, August 12, 2013

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: review (spoiler free)

So I finally watched the last existing Suzumiya anime, namely the movie, Suzumiya Haruhi no Shouahitsu. First, let me say this: the quality improved a lot since the previous season.

The story is set in December, and Haruhi is planning a Christmas party for the SOS Brigade. Kyon is indifferent as always, but one day he goes to school and Haruhi has disappeared. Even more worrying, no one seems to remember her.



Now, where to begin with this. Can we just agree to rename it The uncovering of Yuki Nagato or Nagato's hidden personality?
I think the biggest problem I had with this, was the longevity of the movie. It lasted close to 3 hours, which was highly unnecessary. Also, for a more whose title include's her name, Haruhi is uncomfortably absent (hence the "disappearance" I guess, but still). 
Other than that, I have nothing bad to say about this.

The story is good. Somehow Kyon's whole journey felt similar to the one in Steins;Gate, but nevertheless, it was amusing enough. 
They really focus on Kyon's personality and feelings. His desperate attempts at finding his way back to Haruhi despite always complaining about her, shows us only what we already kind of figured out: he cares for her. Yet, he's faced with making tough decisions, and has to ask himself important questions along the way. There is some major character development here. Also his voice actor, Sugita Tomokazu, does a fantastic job.
The other characters are there, but mostly on the sideline this time, except for Yuki Nagato. She's substantially present, and we get to see her character develop as well, in addition to her relationship with Kyon. 
There's one more thing I'd like to say about the characters: Haruhi in the movie is actually pretty nice and tolerable. I found myself for once liking her.

The animation seems to have changed a bit since the previous animes, but that doesn't mean it's bad. All in all it's looks pretty.
The soundtrack is fine too.

Somehow, I feel sorry for Koizumi tho.

Everything is fine. No, actually, the quality of this movie is good, which is why I gave it an overall score of 7/10. And since I know there are so many Haruhi fans out there, I'd recommend you to watch it, after season 1 and 2, of course. If any of you have already seen it, what did you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment