Sunday, October 06, 2013

Anime review: Shingeki no Kyojin (spoiler free [endless rant])

I apologise in advance for an inappropriate amount of cursing.

This anime is a piece of shit. And I love it to death.

Let’s start with a summary, shall we? Humanity’s on the brink of extinction, thanks to these zombie-like creatures called titants, who seemed to have randomly appeared about a century ago and started eating people. Some remaining humans built three big-ass walls to protect themselves from the titants, earning 100 years of peace. But on one unlucky day, a massive titan appears and destroys the outer wall. Eren Yeager is a little boy who after losing his home swears revenge on the titants.

Yes this is all in the first episode, and yes, it will be repeated in a 3-minutes long recap at the beginning of every fucking episode, and yes, you’re in for a hell of a ride if you decide to keep watching (and to be honest, who wouldn’t? We’re all a bunch of fucking masochists anyway, and this is the perfect opportunity for some good old self-inflicted pain).

Characters. Yes. Just yes, oh my god, FUCKING YES. Love them all. ALL (except for a select few, which I actually really hate, but cannot talk about due to severe spoilers). Eren Yeager, the protagonist, is an (apparently, I wouldn’t know since I usually don’t watch this genre) stereotypical hot headed male hero driven by his desire to kill titants. He is also very dumb, and rarely useful. He can’t make decisions for himself, he can’t accomplish anything without the help of his friends, he cries all the time, and he doesn’t have any talents. And, is it just me, or is he suspiciously absent during this show, despite being the fucking main character?
There is Mikasa Ackerman, Eren’s stalker foster sister, who excels at every skill that was ever considered. She is also the only Asian. Coincidence, I think not. Armin Arlert, their childhood friend who is so incredibly intelligent, and insecure and simply adorable. Still I’m surprised he wasn’t killed off in the first episode already due to his inability to fucking move his limbs during emergencies. 
There are also a lot of other characters. A lot. They contribute to the story with their interesting personalities and funny moments, but beware, the more funny and likeable they are, the more likely they are to die a gruesome death.

Eren Yeager: fucking useless piece of shit but oh my god that smile.

The soundtrack is probably the most beautiful and fitting soundtrack I have ever heard in an anime (ok, a select few could maybe compete, but still). I think we can all agree that the first opening equals the definition of epic. And, in my opinion, the second one, although it makes a terrible first impression because we're all disappointed by the change, is actually pretty damn good once you listen to it a few more times. (Personally I’m so sick of hearing these songs as they have been playing non-stop in my iPod for the past month I just want to vomit on them). That is all. 


The animation, wow. It’s really good. Some parts are slow and still, especially in the middle but other than that there are some great action scenes and everything is gorgeous.

The story is original enough in itself, but at the same time not. There are many cliché elements, but the main plot is so unpredictable and will have you catching your breath over and over with all it’s stupid twists and turns. However, there is one thing I have to mention, and that is the pacing. When I first started watching this show, all I could think was “well that escalated quickly” (just look at the first episode goddammit). Then came the Trost arc. That fucking Trost arc; ruining what could have been the best anime of the century. To put it simply, the pacing slows down to a fucking turtle speed.


I don’t think there was a point in trying to keep this review spoiler-free or even writing it at all, because it seems like everyone has been watching this anime. It’s everywhere, on Tumblr, on Fanficiton.net and Archiveofourown, DeviantArt, Twitter, MAL, youtube, you name it. 
But if you are one of the few who have yet to see it, I envy you. You can still make the choice not to watch it. You can turn your back and say “no, this is not for me”, and not touch it with a ten foot pole. I envy you, because this show will bring you nothing but suffering (and a few laughs if you’re into really weird fanfics but maybe that’s just me). 

If you were a close friend of mine, I would tell you hell yeah to watch it. Just so I could have someone to cry over it with. But to all the strangers out there: you’ll either love it or hate it. Probably both at the same time. Depends on whether or not you can make it through the Trost arc. And whether or not you’re a pretentious hipster who is too cool for mainstream shows like this.
I just have to say, despite the flaws, it’s a fantastic show, that will keep you at the edge of your seat the whole way through [there are a lot of cliffhangers, but hey no problem for you guys since the show is finished airing]. There is a reason why it has gotten so popular (although many other factors than the actual anime itself may have played a part, but please don’t get me started on that, it’ll take a whole new post). 

This guy is probably my favourite character ever. Also my new husband thank you very much.
And finally, to the people who have been watching it at devotedly as me: for the love of god, read the fucking manga if you haven’t yet. I don’t know how someone can not because answers I need some answers and I need them now. The manga will answer whatever the anime didn’t, but it’ll leave you with another thousand questions and only a chapter a month. Please do it so I won’t have to stay in this hell by myself. 

It needs another season though. Seriously. 9/10.

For further stuff on this anime I recommend this video by GRArkada (might contain some spoilers tho):




3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that you really talk like this ^^ at least not in the public
    Thanks for recommending the anime, I do not regret of seeing it ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's mostly on the internet. Besides, I was reeeeeally frustraded when writing this so.... yeah. I hope you will not think any less of me!

      Delete
  2. Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. Love this AoT anime, love the Attack on Titan cosplay costumes in www.cosplayfield.com!

    ReplyDelete