Monday, October 14, 2013

SnK: a title query and thoughts on anime ending [spoilers, duh]

(Go here for my regular SnK review).

That's it. That's the show.
There is something that’s been on my mind since I started watching this anime. I’m sure every fan of the show have asked themselves this at least once: why is it called “Attack on Titan”, when there is clearly more than just one titan present in the show? 

I have a theory. In Japanese, apparently, they don’t have a plural form for words, so whether they mean one or more must usually be taken from the context altogether. In other words, a mistranslation. I thought about this for a while, unsure whether to bring my theory to the light of day, because it would seem very unprofessional to actually have committed a mistake like this. Maybe I was wrong. However, one day I walked into a manga store here in Paris, and saw the French title: “L’attaque des Titants”. TitanS. Is it possible there is a mistranslation in the English title after all? I have no idea for sure, but what do you guys think? 
Also, how come no one ever thought about this? I mean, I find it hard to believe I’m the only one to notice this whole title thing, but I’ve never seen anyone on the internet question it. 

(Here, have some pain.) My bby. I think we all were in shock after seeing this. He's the main character for christ's sake.
Moving on.

The ending. Let me just say it like this: I am so done with this show. And what I mean by that, is I love it but I hate it. Because it starts out really well, and story-wise it makes us have to keep watching. We all want to know what the fuck is going on here, what are the titants, where do they come from, and why. And for the love of god what is in Eren's basement. But no, instead we are left with absolutely no answers, and the biggest cliffhanger in the entire show, and not even an official promise of a second season.

If you look at the overall picture, they barely made any progress at all, and the progress they did make was due to Eren's titan abilities, which wasn't even his own doing. Eren didn't even kill a single titan in his human form. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this upsetting.
Erwin's speech at the end about fighting back and stuff was terrible. I hated it, because none of it was true. Yeah so they caught the female titan but they can't even interrogate her now? It frustrates me to death that we never even get to know her motives. And what about the other titants, the tall one and the armoured one? Nothing. The Recon Corps managed to destroy the city and lose yet another bunch of lives (shouldn't they be running out of people soon?), but what did they gain?

I screenshot this just to show that LEVI ISN'T THAT SHORT AFTER ALL so can I marry him now?
This show is perfect in every way, except that it raises more questions than it answers, which is painfully annoying. This is also the reason why I couldn't help myself and read the entire manga online, because I needed something more substantial. Although it satisfied me a little more than the anime, it's apparently far from finished and so there are still many things unanswered, and we just have to wait for that, I guess. Ugh, I hate waiting.

So, what did you guys think? Did you like the ending or not? Tell me your opinions!

I'm taking this opportunity to show off my new snk mug. It's awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment